Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Blog 2

When I finally decided I wanted to be a teacher, I knew the decision of deciding WHAT to teach was going to be difficult. I already knew I wanted to teach in the middle childhood range, now just the subject had to be next. My decision finally came down to becoming a math teacher. As a student, I always enjoyed math and found it a very universal topic that students need to use on a daily basis. I also used my past as motivation to make the decision. I didn't have the best math teachers in the past and I wanted to change that for myself and become the math teacher the children could like. I also feel like a have a good foundation of knowledge towards math to build on and exceed my goals.
As far as math goes, I think the students need to focus on what is at hand, but also be involved in the learning process. I don't think I'll be able to just hand then work and let them go at it because down the road, they need to develop a fundamentally sound base of how to solve problems with a comprehensive style.
I think it is important for the students to learn and master all basic concepts of math before moving on to challenging areas. Like I said before, I would like the students to not only be able to do the work, but understand it. A subject like fractions will take getting used to and I believe a build up to that would be very beneficial. My purpose for teaching students is to motivate and aide them every step of the way. I think I can offer a very good helping hand to students in need.

No comments: