Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Blog 3

I think schools need to focus just as much on social aspects in school as academic aspects. Schools need to organize events and festivities that help children bond and create friendships that will let them grow as a student and an individual. Even small things like celebrating holidays, appropriately, can bring students a long way. Schools need to be viewed as a social institution for several reasons. When students interact with one another they will learn to problem solve not only as individuals but as friends do. Student to student interaction needs to be stressed because this will help kids prepare for the "real world". In school, they will make some of their best friends, but on the other side of the spectrum they can create enemies just as easily. I believe this process is essential to their learning. Students and teachers alike need to willingly involve group activities to promote social growth. Parents also need to be accepting of this process and allow them to grow, even if they don't always have an open mind towards this process in schools.
Personally, I did not fully appreciate the social realm of schooling that I was involved with for so long. I did not even realize it was going on, but looking back, all the activities and gatherings we had really helped me become who I am.
I believe the most powerful and successful characteristics a classroom can have is accepting every student regardless of any background, open-mindfully listening to all ideas, and setting goals for students. These three things alone can really carry a classroom far and I think need to be practiced all over the country. Without picking favorites or creating closed minds, teaching can go a very long way.
I think a personal strength I bring to teaching is my willingness to help everyone and give everyone a chance to succeed. I believe all students have to be given an equal opportunity to learn and excel and I think I am ready to let that happen. I think all teachers bring a very unique characteristic to their own classroom, but I believe this is mine. I think this quality can allow students to feel accepted and reach a sense of accomplishment when a task is performed correctly. I will promote good behavior and let every student know that they are just as meaningful as the next one.

No comments: